Thursday, September 3, 2009

Turtles in the Canal

I think that the Veolia is out of line in what they currently plan on doing. Destroying thousands of turtles for the sake of saving a little money does not seem like the right thing to do. I think that the community should petition the DNR about what else could be done, and also have Veolia think of some more environmentally friendly alternatives. Without the study of zoology and the work that Travis Ryan has done, I don't think that this issue would have been brought up in such an important manner. Without his study of how these turtles lay their eggs no one might have been the wiser about the company killing so many babies. In this case the study of zoology might save thousands of turtles lives. If the project is permitted the immediate impact on the turtle population in the canal would be of an entire generation lost. However, I think that the turtle population would be fine overall, they just might change their habits of laying their nests in the canal to going into more people's backyards. I hope the water company realizes the huge mistake they are making before its too late, but when it comes to a big company and saving some money, let's just say I'm not getting my hopes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment